MPQ Community Video - June, 2015

David [Hi-Fi] Moore
David [Hi-Fi] Moore Posts: 2,872 Site Admin
edited June 2015 in MPQ General Discussion
Greetings everyone and thanks for joining in.

Due to a delay while production details were firmed up, the Marvel Puzzle Quest Community Video slipped from May into June. Sorry about that!

Nevertheless, we're hopeful you'll find the developer discussion below enjoyable and the info worth the wait. In the video, Demiurge's Will Jennings-Hess and Kabir Hemrajani discuss a number of topics the community have been inquiring about (and some surprises) including; Roster Slots, scaling, scoring in Versus Events, the 4-Star transition, a new purchasing system, increased Health Packs and rewards progression.

MPQCommunityVideoJune2015.JPG

We hope you find the info useful and we welcome your feedback!

You can access the video RIGHT HERE.

Thanks for watching!

Comments

• simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    Potentially very excited about the scaling experiment you're going to be trying in upcoming PvEs. However, it was a little hard to grasp exactly what you meant exactly by "turning off the system". So can you please clarify what you meant by "the system"? Are you only turning off community scaling, or are you resetting everyone's personal scaling as well? In other words, am I still going to be facing nodes with opponents that, for god-knows-what-reason, are 50 levels higher than those for players with comparable rosters, or am I finally going to be back on equal footing with those players?
  • esoxnepa
    esoxnepa Posts: 291
    Great Video, last 3 minutes has a nice executive summary.

Glad to hear some of where the future is going and that you'll experiment with fixing things in different manners.
  • xKOBALTx
    xKOBALTx Posts: 299 Mover and Shaker
    surprise-face-gif.gif
    its-happening.gif
  • stochasticism
    stochasticism Posts: 1,181 Chairperson of the Boards
    4*s in DDQ you say. Will wait in see how many things get put in The Vault every 5 days and how many chances we get to pull things from said Vault before I pass judgement but this sounds promising. If we complete all missions in DDQ every 5 days and then get a guaranteed 4* this will be amazing.

Between roster slot capping, increased 4*s, more health packs, making simulator rewards not completely suck and turning off community scaling experiments this was so full of win.
  • moogles85
    moogles85 Posts: 183 Tile Toppler
    edited June 2015
    Summary...

1. Roster Slots
    - capping slots @ 1k hp
    2. PvE Scaling
    - Removing PvE community scaling for some events this month to track new win/loss data - not for any events for new characters
    3. Scoring in PvP events
    - No tweaks for the time being since the +50% point bonus
    4. 4* Transition plan
    - No official announcement yet
    - Upping drop rates in summer for 4* (token draw rates)
    - New feature - "The Vault" in Deadpool Daily - higher odds to pull specific items
    - 4* featured in Gauntlet (already shown in last gauntlet with HB)
    5. Health pack change
    - maximum from 5 --> 10
    - 36 minute regeneration will stay the same
    - to be implemented "soon"
    6. Scarlet Witch Bug Fix - Arcane Incantation
    - Won't turn already purple tiles into purple
    7. Shield Simulator
    - Revamped in Season 16
  • Der_Lex
    Der_Lex Posts: 1,035 Chairperson of the Boards
    These sound like universally positive changes, although with the PvE scaling experiment we'll have to wait and see, of course. Good call not doing that during new character releases.

1000HP for roster slots is still very steep, but it's better than nothing, and hopefully those 'new ways to earn roster slots' will prove to be attainable (a prog reward in the new SHIELD Sim prizes, maybe?)

Finally, when you tied the SHIELD sim to season points, it really shouldn't have surprised you that it gets played by vets as well as newbies. icon_mrgreen.gif
  • Phaserhawk
    Phaserhawk Posts: 2,676 Chairperson of the Boards
    What did this tell me? They are in it for the long haul. I think this game has proven to be a solid investment and they are finally looking to retain players as well as catering to new ones. Well done!!!
  • My recap:

Roster slots capped at 1000 HPs - this is a short term fix. New ways of earning roster slots, looking at other things too

Community scaling - they are experimenting with tweaks. They're trying shutting it off in a couple of story events (PVE). They don't know what might happen. They're afraid it might increase the emphasis on playing at particular time, but it may be awesome. They're going to look at the data and other feedback. They'll turn it back on for a couple of events and look at that too. This will be done on events where they're not awarding new events. Progression is likely to be too easy or too hard.

Scoring in Versus events was down for many. One fix is already live - 50% increased scoring. The effects of this will be evaluated, further tweaks may be coming in the future.

4-star progression. A lot of stuff is past the idea stage but not ready to announce. This summer the drop rate for 4-stars will be upped. They would not hoard tokens for it. A new feature in the game called the Vault. A brand new store where you put items in and when you take an item out, it's no longer there. When you take an item out, you have higher odds of pulling the rest. This will likely be introduced with Deadpool daily, which will include 4-stars. The items in the vault will be static for the 5 days of Deadpool daily. Every day you pull items out of it, you'll have higher odds for the items you didn't pull. This change is only made to tokens in Deadpool daily, the other tokens will stay the same for now. This is one small piece of the increased availability of 4-stars and the different ways to get them that will see rolling out during the next year. There's also a 4-star feature in the Gauntlet and other places where they will show up.

Any plans to change how health packs work? The maximum changes from 5 to 10. This will hopefully make longer sessions 'meatier'. 36 minutes to regenerate a health pack will stay the same. This should come into the game soon.

Bug fix. Scarlet Witch's Arcane Incantation used to convert purple to purple. This was dumb, now it only turns non-purple tiles.

Progression rewards in the shield simulator. The original vision was shield training - a good place for new players to show up because it doesn't hurt very much when you lose - the progression rewards were designed for them. They were pleasantly surprised that everyone played the Shield SIM, but the one-star rewards are boring for most. This is changed in season XVI, which starts at the end of June. The progression rewards will be revamped and should be more exciting for long-term players.
  • Unknown
    edited June 2015
    moogles85 wrote:
    Summary...
    1. Roster Slots
    - capping slots @ 1k hp
    2. PvE Scaling
    - Removing PvE community scaling for some events this month to track new win/loss data - not for any events for new characters
    3. Scoring in PvP events
    4. 4* Transition plan
    - Upping drop rates in summer for 4*
    - New feature - "The Vault" in Deadpool Daily - higher odds to pull specific items
    5. Health pack change
    - maximum from 5 --> 10
    7. Shield Simulator
    - Revamped in Season 16

Should note:
    4* increased drop rates are token drop rates
    Vault - these look like 1-win items. Odds of hitting the 'good item' pool appears to stay consistent. Hoping they refresh every 5-day week.

Commentary:
    Scarlet Witch Arcane Incantation is going to be even better. Will re-run simulations and post in her thread.
    Capping slots at 1K is going to help those with 80 or more slots. Probably the top 5%? (I'm not there yet).
  • turul
    turul Posts: 1,622 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited June 2015
    As questioned before me, will COMMUNITY SCALING be turned off, or COMMUNITY+PERSONAL SCALING?
    (if just Community, pls dont do anything at all)

Also, you might want to test a few events with old style rubberbanding&rules.
    The one where 8hr was the refresh time for any numbers of figth on nodes (, so you didn't get penalized if you liked a mission so much you wanted to play it again instantly). And i hate to admit, but old style rubberbanding was way better than forcing us to play 8 hourly to be comepetitive.

How static is the rewards in Deadpools Taco Vault?
  • fmftint
    fmftint Posts: 3,653 Chairperson of the Boards
    Overall, good stuff
    I still think 1k/roster slot is too high but at least we know they wont go higher.
    No tweaks to PVP scoring/progression, good news
    4*s coming to Deadpool Daily, great
    health pack inventory increased to 10, thank you
    Retooled progression rewards in Shield Sim, great
    But why would you assume turning off community scaling will ,Go horribly,?
  • moogles85 wrote:
    Summary...
    1. Roster Slots
    - capping slots @ 1k hp
    2. PvE Scaling
    3. Scoring in PvP events
    4. 4* Transition plan
    - Upping drop rates in summer for 4*
    5. Health pack change
    - maximum from 5 --> 10
    7. Shield Simulator
    - Revamped in Season 16

This is all great stuff, and would be worth a $5 spot from me in imcoin.png (maybe even a $20) if their CS department wasn't so god awful. My account was recently fried and it took them THREE WEEKS to fix it. Their note to me after a week was "we will contact you first thing monday morning", and then 2 weeks went by where I heard nothing. So now I am entrenched in the no spending camp.

I love this game, and I want other people to love it too, but when your CS department treats customers like this it does bad things to your reputation.
  • TheVulture
    TheVulture Posts: 413 Mover and Shaker
    Lots of good stuff! icon_cool.gif
    Thanks, D3 team.
  • Dauthi
    Dauthi Posts: 995 Critical Contributor
    edited June 2015
    moogles85 wrote:
    Summary...

Great idea! If you don't mind, I'll borrow/add onto that for others.

Summary

1. Roster Slots
    --- capping slots at 1k hp
    --- Working on more solutions.
    2. PvE Scaling
    --- Removing PvE community scaling for some events this month to track new win/loss data
    Will not changed for any events for new characters
    They are worried it will make the game "grindy."
    3. Scoring in PvP events
    --- Mentioned they are "evaluating" it and there may be changes.
    4. 4* Transition plan
    --- Upping drop rates in summer for 4* (token draw rates)
    --- New feature - "The Vault" in Deadpool Daily - higher odds to pull specific items including 4*s.
    --- 4*s will continue to be featured in Gauntlet
    --- Working on more plans for the future.
    5. Health pack change
    --- maximum from 5 --> 10
    --- to be implemented "soon" after this video.
    --- Won't turn already purple tiles into purple
    7. Shield Simulator
    --- Better progression reward prizes for older players.

I was complaining about roster slots and i'm only at 750 hp per slot, 1k is still ridiculous icon_e_sad.gif

I think turning off community will make everything more grindy. Instead of players being stopped by a hard battle that was scaled up, they will be able to play it 10 times, and if I want to keep up I will have to also.

Upping healthpacks is a great idea, it will add to the time management system of the game and your life.

The vault is a great idea, it is still random but encourages constant play so it will keep players around.
  • TheOncomingStorm
    TheOncomingStorm Posts: 489 Mover and Shaker
    IMO best q and a yet. Lots of good stuff. Seemed more succinct and organized than past ones. It's almost like they're getting the hand of it or something.

Thanks for finally deciding on a cap for roster slots. It's not as nice as 500 or 750HP. However, I am content as it is manageable if (and only if) new characters are only released at most every other week.

I also like the health packs. I can manage them how I like now. If I want to play a short burst, I can just use five. If I want to play for a long time and will not be able to play for a while after it, ten is a nice option.

Thanks.
  • I'm glad that they are capping roster slot cost, but as someone who is already past 1K per slot (83 slots), i can tell tell you that it is too expensive.

I used to keep duplicates of every 4* and almost every 3*. But i started selling off my duplicates because it just got to be too expensive when a slot costs 1K+.

Glad they are doing something. IMO 500 per slot is ideal. 750 would still be too pricey, but better than 1K.

marc
  • simonsez
    simonsez Posts: 4,663 Chairperson of the Boards
    turul wrote:
    As questioned before me, will COMMUNITY SCALING be turned off, or COMMUNITY+PERSONAL SCALING?
    (if just Community, pls dont do anything at all)
    I agree with turul. If this just means scaling will stay more level over the course of an event, if one's personal scaling is already starting out through the the roof, all this means is that it will continue to be disproportionately difficult for them, whereas everyone else will have an even easier time than before.
  • Wonko33
    Wonko33 Posts: 985 Critical Contributor
    Nice- they hit most of the top community concerns. We don't know how those changes will work but at least they are making important changes to stuff that was broken
  • moogles85 wrote:
    Summary...

1. Roster Slots
    - capping slots @ 1k hp
    2. PvE Scaling
    3. Scoring in PvP events
    4. 4* Transition plan
    - Upping drop rates in summer for 4* (token draw rates)
    5. Health pack change
    - maximum from 5 --> 10
    7. Shield Simulator
    - Revamped in Season 16
    yey for summaries, watching videos is so 2005
  • SnowcaTT
    SnowcaTT Posts: 3,486 Chairperson of the Boards
    We're capping roster slots "where players feel it's comfortable".

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=19201

So....what players think is comfortable and double that? I laughed out loud when I heard this.