The 3 Star Balance Project: The Forum Poll *ENDED*

Options
This is continued from this thread: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=32833

Started as a new thread after contacting a mod, to make sure everyone is aware it's a new post with an actual poll, where the top vote getters on the previous post are up for battle.

You are allowed 1 vote, and it cannot be changed. This poll will remain active till 9/28/15.

There will not be a vote for best of the best at this time, although I feel there would be a very clear winner if there were.

Disclaimer: While we can hope a dev sees the poll and takes it into consideration, there is no guarantee of that, and the developers have much better tools to track character usage and effectiveness than just a simple forum poll.

For the short recap, the previous written poll resulted in the following tidbits and top 5s. Exact numbers are not presented to avoid biasing the present vote.

Initial Results for the "Need Buff" List!

Iron Man
Spidey
Psylocke
Quicksilver
Hulk

The top 5 for the "Do Not need a Buff" List were:

Iron Fist
Cyclops
Luke Cage
Kamala
Scarlet Witch

Only one character had the honor of showing up on both lists:

Beast

Characters that did not appear on either list:

Doctor Doom
Falcon
Human Torch
Rocket and Groot
Storm

----

Feel free to discuss the poll options, who you chose, and why, as well as any possible feedback on what you would change.
Failed to load the poll.

Comments

• optimus2861
    optimus2861 Posts: 1,232 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Spidey needs an offensive skill.

Solution: combine his Spider-Sense passive with his 1* counterpart's Spectacular Strategy. So when you match purple, you gain the protect tiles, and when you have 9 AP (or whatever), you create critical tiles based on # of web tiles on the board.

He'd still be low tier, but you'd pull him out now & then, at least.
  • Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    3* Spidey has his uses, and can be a real spoiler, especially in PVP, i sorta like him as is... and i know that is an unpopular opinion.. but he, like 3* falcon, their best offense, is their defense..

3* Iron Man on the other hand.. he is the exact opposite.. Skills that take forever to get going, for sub-par damage, and all with a downside.. I would rather use Rags or Sentry. Even when buffed, he is barely a nuisance , and nearly impossible to get going even in Story Mode, unless you cripple him by undercovering his yellow.
  • Pylgrim
    Pylgrim Posts: 2,296 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Iron Man, no contest. All the others have one or two things that they do decently well and only need a couple changes or additions, or an increase in power. IM40 needs to be completely reworked.
  • TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    this one I really want to vote for 2 of them - spidey and im40 both. thing is, I find myself using im40 just for a red/blue ap battery. that is more than I use spidey for. right now my spidey is at 104 and I just don't see much reason to even bring him up to 120. I will the next time we have his pvp but he's too high level to use on trival nodes (plus you don't want to negate damage on those anyway) and too low to be useful on others and I just haven't found much use for him. maybe I

to me both of those 2 need work. both are iconic characters in MCU and have very high popularity with movie franchises and its a shame neither are much use in a marvel game like this.
  • Personal Opinions on the guys that top 5'd.

Spider-Man: I honestly have minimal use out of him in loaner nodes. He comes across as defensive/support character, and while I don't feel that really "feels" like Spidey, he's not terrible when used, for what his apparent role is. I like 1* Spidey better, but I don't agree with the consensus that he should just replace 3* Spidey altogether, because there's going to be people that use Spidey for what he is currently. I'd say add a "web swing" damage effect to his yellow, so it heals and does damage, but that might require some careful balancing.

Psylocke: She seems pretty solid to me, she just has one power that completely destroys her worth because it's such garbage tier. Bewilder really could stand to be changed to steal AP on tick like Blade's night stalker, stealing a larger amount at the cost of it not being "permanent" countdown tile. I do feel her red and black powers should place her strike and attack tiles on purple tiles, this way to fuel the powers you're not risking her losing her special tiles, and plus, c'mon, it's psylocke. She should utilize purple -somehow-.

Hulk: I don't get it. He plays great from what I've used.

Quicksilver: I think his Black needs to be changed to have upgraded "targeting" as he gets more covers, ala Cap/LCap , eventually switching any tile at 5 covers. His green needs to be targeted placement, with choosable colors upgrading with each cover ala 1* hawkeye.

Iron Man: My personal vote. His age shows, and he's just not very good. He's the oldest character without adjustment. Needs his yellow tweaked so penalties don't kick in till 4-5 covers for the better ap. Red and Blue need to have massive cost decreases, or have better effects for the extra ap damage. I still think a "FIRE ALL WEAPONS" button ala Deadpool's whales should pop up on his red and blue, making the extra ap drain optional, but causing increased damage/effect if done.
  • TxMoose wrote:
    this one I really want to vote for 2 of them - spidey and im40 both.

Completely understand, but I was concerned with 2 votes, that pair would un away with the vote considering the previous results. Wanted to force people into a hard choice, because sometimes that yields the best clear result, from what I've always seen.
  • TxMoose
    TxMoose Posts: 4,319 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Haetron wrote:
    TxMoose wrote:
    this one I really want to vote for 2 of them - spidey and im40 both.

Completely understand, but I was concerned with 2 votes, that pair would un away with the vote considering the previous results. Wanted to force people into a hard choice, because sometimes that yields the best clear result, from what I've always seen.
    I can see that stance. ok. I voted spidey. truthfully only because we have good r/blue/y guys in the game already in mags and cap. and I think spidey would serve a function that I currently don't take advantage of in my roster, so that's why I went with him. still would love if im40 were usable. my third would be hulk. hulk's red would be pretty simple to tweak and he'd be better.
  • turul
    turul Posts: 1,622 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Not contributing since you filtered my answer, containing Storm/buff
  • jimstarooney
    jimstarooney Posts: 576 Critical Contributor
    Options
    turul wrote:
    3 star,unless u talkin about gold storm
  • turul wrote:

I'm sorry, but your votes were not counted because you didn't follow the instructions of the poll. It was clearly stated in the first post that you had to place at least one character for the "Above Average/Buff not needed" pool for your vote to count, and a reminder was posted that I would not be counting votes from people who did not follow that step when one person did so, and you still chose to not do so.

I apologize if you feel slighted by this, but please don't let it deter you from participating further.
  • Jathro
    Jathro Posts: 323 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I really don't think Quicksilver is as bad as the majority do. I think he's a lot of fun. Granted he could use some work, but I certainly don't think he's bottom 5 material.

The top 5 don't really surprise me. Though I think Cage is overrated. Do you people not use 3* Thor??

Nice work putting this all together.
  • Jathro wrote:
    I really don't think Quicksilver is as bad as the majority do. I think he's a lot of fun. Granted he could use some work, but I certainly don't think he's bottom 5 material.

The top 5 don't really surprise me. Though I think Cage is overrated. Do you people not use 3* Thor??

Nice work putting this all together.

I don't have the list at hand, but I believe Thor came in at number 6.
  • turul
    turul Posts: 1,622 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Haetron wrote:
    turul wrote:

I'm sorry, but your votes were not counted because you didn't follow the instructions of the poll. It was clearly stated in the first post that you had to place at least one character for the "Above Average/Buff not needed" pool for your vote to count, and a reminder was posted that I would not be counting votes from people who did not follow that step when one person did so, and you still chose to not do so.

I apologize if you feel slighted by this, but please don't let it deter you from participating further.

I did note that "Whatever others think" are the ones that do not need buff.
    Thought this is enough since the choices were enough consistent. Next time I just copypaste to be acknowledged...........
  • Malcrof
    Malcrof Posts: 5,971 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Spiderman VS Iron Man.. Civil War...., except, unless they are buffed, this could be a long long war...
  • ronin_san
    ronin_san Posts: 980 Critical Contributor
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Hulk needs a simple tune : Allow stored greentile.png AP to deal extra damage on his redflag.png , or deal damage for every greentile.png on the board. As it stands, A buffed 240 Hulk deals similar damage to a 166 Luke Cage. And that's some *expletive redacted*.

Spider-Man needs a rework. I don't think anyone would complain if he became LazySpider.

Quicksilver would benefit from his colors being reworked and potentially discounted, because his costing and abilities don't lend feasibility in other groups. I get that he and Wanda are twins, but having two shared colors, and both of them having a blue passive, means they don't work well together. That shouldn't have passed QA at Demiurge. <-- Bad form, boys.

IM40 needs his abilities reduced in cost.

Psylocke and Punisher suffer heavily from power creep.

For Betsy, Bump up the damage or overall revisit their abilities. Even when you pair Betsy with Blade and Daken, her Red doesn't do a lot of dmg for the AP spent. It *can* get up there, but it takes too long. Reduce the cost on her blueflag.png and make it a true threat ala She-Hulk. Her black's "OK", but in this era of IF, Cage, Cyclops, she'll never get black use.

Punisher needs his black turned up, or maybe tuned up similar to Beast. If Punisher has a special tile in play, maybe his black immediately pops an attack tile or 3. Finally, Let me target with his green. Et Voila. People will use Punisher again. Now that'll mean you need to re-think Scarlet Witch's Green, but that's fine. It generates AP. Punisher's doesn't.
  • Daiches
    Daiches Posts: 1,252 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Voted for Iron Man, because any character that's best undercovered is a design flaw.
  • CaptainFreaky
    CaptainFreaky Posts: 451 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Spidey.

All day, everyday.
  • rollx
    rollx Posts: 71 Match Maker
    Options
    I previously voted spiderman, but I take that back for iron man. He is pretty bad, almost unusable. Here are a few things I would do for him.

Turn his yellowflag.png into a passive that generates color every turn, almost like hoods and doesn't "Drain" from the other team.

Also, maybe turn redflag.png into a "call the Ironmen" ability that is like nick fury's ability: if you have enough of a specific color, you call an iron man that does X amount of additional damage and drains that color. Like in the ironman 3 movie in a way.

Maybe blueflag.png can be "Call Jarvis" that summons your iron man suit, adding armor, strike and attack tiles to the board randomly for specific color you have and drains that color.

Just some thoughts. icon_e_geek.gif
  • I do think a possible meeting ground on Spidey and the "Lazy up 1 star spidey" crowd, would be to turn his purple into a passive/active combo that generates protect tiles on purple matches, then at certain AP cost, turns X number of protect tiles to crit tiles. It would fit with Spidey taking offensive advantage of his spider-sense, which the character routinely does.

His yellow I would just add an effect doing damage based on number of protect tiles in play as well as the current heal.

This brings up the effects his current 1 star version has, but keeps the character intact for those that are happy with him as is.
  • Mawtful
    Mawtful Posts: 1,646 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Quick question:

How are we defining "buff"? A tweak to the character's existing abilities, or partial/full rework of the character?

Iron-Man, Spider-Man, and Quicksilver all need fairly comprehensive reworks.
    Psylocke and Hulk really only need some numbers nudged in the right direction.